Event #3


On April 25th 2017 I attended Jonathan Moore’s art exhibition at UCLA’s Broad Arts Center. His exhibition was interactive and it required various props and the assistance of other individuals to mimic an airport security line. I had to wait in a long line until I reached the desk to get my ID checked by a TSA security lady. This reminded me of all the times that I have waited in hour long lines at the airport security. All of the security guards were dressed in uniform, had stern faces and projected their voices loudly and clearly. After my ID was checked I walked through a metal detector and then placed my bag in a basket, which was then sent through a scanner to be examined. The only part that I was confused about was when a sticker was placed on me that said hold. I noticed that some people had stickers on their bags, as well. I was not sure what the stickers meant, or if they had any meaning at all. After my bag was checked I then entered into a door, the room was dark, but then I quickly exited when I was told. At the end of the process I was given a survey form and the only option was to answer yes. I found this comical because I was forced to give positive feedback, no matter what my experience was like. I loved how accurate Moore’s replication of the TSA airport security line was; from the acting of the security guards to the noises from the machines.

                               



In the center of the room there was a pole placed on platform with wheels, and multiple microphones attatched at the top. It was electrically powered and moved around in a closed off area. It would stop and move around the area from corner to coroner, in my opinion it was acting as another source of security or even as a speaker to relay a message for all to hear. I thought this was an interesting addition and I wish I knew more about its purpose. 




Moore did a great job designing his exhibition.  I found it interesting that even though the exhibition was fake and set up, the audience still respected the actors as authority and obeyed what they commanded.  I could tell that he spent a lot of time replicating each piece and making the atmosphere feel like we were waiting in an airport security line. I was impressed by his ability to implement technology and mathematics to create an interactive art masterpiece. I am still puzzled by the fact that he was able to build the detector and conveyor belt scanner from scratch and set it up to beep when it sensed something. I would recommend my classmates to visit his exhibition because it was a great experience and everything felt so real and authentic, as if I was actually at the airport.

Me at the exhibition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MedTech+Art

Week 9: Space + Art

Week 8: Nanotech + Art