Event 2: Youjin Cheng’s Exhibition


For my second event, I attended Youjin Cheng’s solo exhibition at UCLA’s Fine Art Center. When I first walked in the room I was puzzled and confused about what she created. I got the opportunity to talk to her and she explained her creations and the meaning behind them. She created two pieces, one was a moving piece that is electronically powered and her second creation was an interactive game. It seems as though she was trying to draw more attention to the game that she created because it was interactive and had more meaning/symbolism.
Desma 9 Student, Ashley  (left), Youjin (center), me (right)



This first piece she created was a mechanical, electronic driven machine that had small pillars that moved in opposite directions. There were three spotlights that surrounded it, which casted the perfect amount of light. The lights symbolized an audience paying attention to this inanimate object. In regards to our everyday life, the artist is trying to bring attention to inanimate objects that we so easily disregard. The idea that she uses in this piece ties in with the overall theme of the game, that I will next explain.





The game she created was definitely the main focus of her exhibition. When I saw this creation I starred blankly at it. In fact I didn't even know it was interactive until my friend started touching the buttons on the remote and the screen started to move. Her work was inspired by an article she read, which was about a robot that was killed on the street by human beings. The killing of the robot was prompted due to jealousy. The robot portrayed perfection, which the human beings desired. She further explains that people feel insecure about the future (robots) because these robots exhibit perfection that human beings cannot achieve.
Student interacting with the game 
Her intent for this game was to make the viewers feel detached and unfamiliar, and that is exactly how I felt. As seen in the photo there is a hand that symbolizes human beings and throughout the game the hand destructs objects that are unfamiliar. This concept symbolizes the jealousy that human beings exhibit when interacting with inanimate objects and unfamiliar material, which they wish to destroy.

I enjoyed this exhibition and I would recommend it to my fellow classmates. I was able to relate my experience to Professor Vesna's lecture about robotics, technology and art. This is the perfect example of how robotics and technology is used as a form of art. Cheng's artwork was very eye opening and it prompted me reflect upon my current life and the potential of technological advancements in the future. Technology is advancing quickly, so maybe someday we will have robots running our world. The use of robotics has many benefits, such as prosthetics, so it was interesting that Cheng demonstrates how human beings view these inanimate objects (robots) in a negative light. I am glad I got to visit her exhibition and speak to her about her intent behind the exhibition. I am eager to see the advancements in technology and how it will affect our everyday lives. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MedTech+Art

Week 9: Space + Art

Week 8: Nanotech + Art