Week 1: Two Cultures

It was not until this week that I have realized and reflected upon the separation between art and science. I am aware that both art and science influence my life and the world around me, but I have yet to analyze and examine it. Charles Percy Snow is an important novelist who introduced the idea of the two cultures. Through his discoveries I am able to get a sense of why this separation takes place and what affects it has in our world. I am a sociology major, so I have learned and developed a different perspectivein order to understand the way our society and world function. I have also learned how people in society interact and how social structures operate. Since my major is a social science I am more familiar with the science aspect of learning rather than art. Because my classes are social science based I have not been familiarized with the concept of art. I found it interesting in Steven Pinker’s interview; he states that studies of art can be illuminated through sciences, which are necessary to appreciate culture. So it is evident that sciences can influence the connections with art. 



Stereotypes emerge due to the way our world is set up and functions. After taking various sociology courses over the past few years, I have come to understand why stereotypes exist.  At a very young age we begin to identify the differences between people in our society and we categories and group each other based on race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, etc. Stereotypes influence how we perceive people and these perceptions are usually false and exaggerated. Instead of accepting these stereotypes I have learned to not judge based off of one’s appearance, but instead get to know the person on a deeper level to prove that the stereotypes are false and generalized.




In the education system the split between art and science is evident. The campus is set up to divide the art and science majors, so most of the time you are only interacting with people of the same major and similar interests. This is relevant to my own experience at UCLA, wherever my classes are held that is where I go and it's almost always in the same area. It is important to step out of your comfort and become knowledgeable of other subjects in order to immerse yourself in our diverse world.
 






Allport and Lippman. "Stereotypes." Changingminds.org. Changing Works, 2002. Web. 04 April. 2017. 

Beautyandtruth09. "SEEDMAGAZINE.COM Two Cultures Steven Pinker." YouTube. YouTube, 18 May 2010. Web. 04 Apr. 2017.

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.



Vesna, Victoria. "Two Cultures Intro." YouTube, 26 Mar. 2012. Web. 04 Apr. 2017.

Vesna, Victoria. "Two Cultures Pt3." YouTube. YouTube, 02 Apr. 2012. Web. 04 Apr. 2017.

Comments

  1. What you said about stereotypes is interesting (I personally believe stereotypes are half true in most cases, although they can also be false and exaggerating). How do you think we can deconstruct stereotypes? How do you think you can involve the arts in your major? What do you think will be the 'Third Culture' or do you think it already exists?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MedTech+Art

Week 9: Space + Art

Week 8: Nanotech + Art